What is “technology”?

You are here:
< Back

Per Part 772 of the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), “technology” is information necessary for the “development,” “production,” “use” operation, installation, maintenance, repair, overhaul, or refurbishing (or other terms specified in ECCNs on the CCL that control “technology”) of an item. The General Technology Note (Supplement No. 2 to part 774 of the EAR) states that the “export of technology” is controlled according to the provisions of each Category.” It further states that “technology required for the development, production, or use of a controlled product remains controlled even when applicable to a product controlled at a lower level.” Please note that the terms “required,” “development,” “production,” “use,” and “technology” are all defined in Part 772 of the EAR. Controlled technology is that which is defined in the General Technology Note and in the Commerce Control List (Supplement No. 1 to part 774 of the EAR).

About the Author